Graduate Admission Requirements

We are pleased that you are considering graduate study at Chaminade University. The Office of Professional and Continuing Education works closely with our individual graduate programs to develop and maintain administrative policies. It is important to note that each graduate program is self-governing and may develop their own policies as they see fit. Understanding the role of how both units work will help you successfully navigate the graduate admissions process.

The role of the Office of Professional and Continuing Education in graduate admissions is to:

  • Establish and maintain minimum admission requirements
  • Support the online application for graduate school candidates

The role of a graduate program in graduate admissions is to:

  • Establish admission requirements for a degree program
  • Set deadlines for applications
  • Carefully review and access each application
  • Make admissions decisions
  • Notify applicants of admissions decisions

Minimum Admission Requirements

Prospective graduate students must meet the following minimum requirements:

  • Hold at least a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S. or equivalent from a foreign institution.
  • Be proficient in English: Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English language proficiency.

Minimum GPA Requirements

Degree-seeking students applying for graduate program admission should have completed an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution with the minimum GPA required by their graduate program of interest.


Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better

MED Program

Cumulative GPA of 2.75 or better

MPT Program

Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better

Note: If your undergraduate cumulative GPA does not meet the minimum GPA for your program of interest, you may still apply. There are opportunities to be provisionally accepted.

Citizen and Visa Status Requirements

We accept applications from all U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, immigrants and international applicants. Admission requirements and procedures are the same for all applicants regardless of citizenship and visa status.  International students must have a visa status that allows academic study at Chaminade University.  This can include temporary U.S. visas such as F-1 student visas, J-1 exchange visitors, H-1 temporary worker, dependent visas or any other non-immigrant classifications.

International Applicants

All visa related requirements are handled by Student Records Services, (808) 739-4600. This office issues I-20 Forms, required to obtaining an f-1/J-1 Student Visa in the student’s country of citizenship (to be done before arrival in the US). At registration, students must provide a copy of the I-94 form (white card attached to passport) and the I-20 ID form issues at the port of entry. To maintain student visa status while in the US, international students must:

  • Hold a valid passport
  • Attend the school they’ve been authorized to attend
  • Carry a full course load (6 graduate credits)
  • Apply for extension(s) if necessary
  • Get authorization before accepting employment
  • Report any address change(s) immediately

Additional Requirements

In addition to regular admission requirements, international students must satisfy the following requirements:

  • Minimum Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Score
    • Paper-based: 550
    • Computer-based: 2013
    • Internet-based: 79
    • Note, the test is not required if student’s native language is English; or if the student has attended an English speaking institution, this requirement is waived.
    • Test information is available from TOEFL/TSE Service, P.O. Box 6151, Princeton, NJ 08541-6151.
  • Transcripts from institutions outside of the US must be evaluated by one of the following organizations and sent to the PACE Graduate office directly from the organization.
  • Provide a statement from a banking association of available financial resources to cover tuition, room and board, books and other expenses while attending school.

Health insurance, which is accepted by US providers, is required for international students. Students must submit proof of a clear TB 9 tuberculin) test or chest x-ray, given and read less than one year prior to the start of the school semester. TB tests or chest x-rays are required by law by the State of Hawaii. International students must submit a chest x-ray. The x-ray may be taken in their country of citizenship.